MyAdvisor™ - Technology Assessment
A successful technical innovation is one that answers a prevalent need or demand, increases revenue, and improves the creator’s social capital. Development of disruptive and commercially viable technology requires time and dollars. When a technology company evaluates new product ideas or potential product enhancements, it must consider weighing competitive advantages and technical feasibility of the product against the resources that will be devoted to the development lifecycle. For a research institution to patent its work, technology transfer is a key consideration in identifying ideas for practical processes that promise commercial value.
You Need MyAdvisor - Technology Assessment if...
- Your research institution spends more money pursuing potential patents than it receives from commercial value.
- You need researchers to be more confident and committed when avoid preparing innovation disclosures.
- You want to eliminate ego and politics from research and innovation decisions.
- You require better internal evaluation of commercially and technically viable innovations before work is done or disclosures are written.
- Your need to optimize your product development cycle to make the most of scarce development resources.
- Your development team requires a standardized process for assessing product development or enhancement opportunities that deliver the greatest competitive advantage.
- You want to be more confident that your technology innovations will address customer needs with little technical risk.
MyAdvisor - Technology Assessment gives you immediate access to a valuable technology assessment tool at a low price. You get forms, userguide, and reports that you can put to use right away!
To create a strategic, consistent technology assessment process, you need metrics that are meaningful, aligned with organizational goals, and reflective of your current human resources and technical capabilities. Selection criteria must be flexible enough to account for your needs and capabilities as a research institution or technology firm, yet consistent enough to ensure that evaluation affords each idea due consideration.
The criteria used in MyAdvisor - Technology Assessment are representative of key considerations that are commonplace in decisions regarding technology innovations. Using a standard form, an evaluator can rate up to eight proposals against a set of statements that best describe the product or research idea. Ratings can then be fed into MyAdvisor - Technology Assessment to compare and rank proposals against the ideal characteristics of a strategically and financially advantageous project. The tool helps you select projects that:
- Represent a significant advance on prior work that will have more than one application;
- Have a tested and confirmed technology concept;
- Have a product development or research team with technical capabilities suited for the project, including members who are at the leading edge of the field;
- Have a business team that is well suited to managing the project and has a solid grasp of the commercial market;
- Customers or patent offices will see as essential ready for commercial use upon demonstration of successful operation;
- Possess proprietary know-how and intellectual property that will ensure adequate protection through the early period of commercialization;
- Satisfy well understood evolving market needs and provide some assurance that the fit with market needs should exist over a commercially viable period;
- Are disruptive in the sense that it will take some time before competition catches up with equivalent offerings, yet targeted to a market that embraces new product innovations with novel attributes;
- Will provide for strong margins that ensure rapid and profitable market entry; and
- Are supported by both sufficient investment capital and adequate marketing capacity.
MyAdvisor - Technology Assessment can be used for:
- Product development lifecycle management,
- Product enhancement and development decisions,
- Technology Transfer disclosure screening,
- Technical innovation research decisions, and
- Standardizing a project selection process.
|MyAdvisor - Technology Evaluation||AdvisorSL|
|# of Projects Evaluated||8||25|
|# of Evaluators per Project||1||6|
|Access to Free Criteria Set Library||No||Yes|
|Create and Use Your Own Criteria||No||Yes|
- Free Evaluation Form for Assessing Technology Opportunities or Projects (pdf)
- Sample Technology Assessment Report (pdf)
System Requirements: PC with Windows 2000 Operating system or later; 60MB of free disk space; minimum of 256MB RAM; Microsoft Excel; Administrator rights for installation.